no more recursive clients: quota reached

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 15:11:19 UTC 2010

See the BIND ARM for the option recursive-clients

As in:

options {
        recursive-clients       4000;
};

I don't recall what the default is (maybe 1000), but our environment required an increase to 4000.

You may also want to look at these options:  tcp-clients X; clients-per-query N; max-clients-per-query P;

The defaults may vary on BIND version. Furthermore, settings may vary for the environment the DNS server is in.

Assuming the BIND version supports the rndc utility, one can see a snap shot in time on the current settings and activity.
For example:
# rndc status
version: 9.6.0-P1 (version.bind/txt/ch disabled)
CPUs found: 2
worker threads: 2
number of zones: 14
debug level: 0