problem with notifies

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 30 14:58:49 UTC 2010

On Mar 30 2010, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>On 30.03.10 13:56, fddi wrote:
>> Hello I have a name server which is slave for many other zones.
>> The problem is that I upgraded to bind 9.3.x and now I have plenty of
>> messages like:
>
>upgraded _to_ 9.3 ? 9.3 is obsolete for some time.
>
>> IN: refused notify from non-master: itselfIPaddress
>> how can I avoid this ?
>
>does the "itselfIPaddress" mean that the server receives notifies from its
>own IP address?
>Is the server behind NAT or load balancer?
>
>> Do I ahev to insert
>>
>> notify no
>>
>> for every zone in which it is slave nameserver ?
>
>if you don't behave as master to others, you can.
>But I'd better find out why it sends notify to itself..

BIND 9.3 *did* send NOTIFYs to itself, if the NS records so indicated.

1758.   [func]          Don't send notify messages to self. [RT #12933]

was first fixed in BIND 9.4.0.

If the OP has only just started seeing these messages, I suppose the
question is what he has upgraded *from*. If we want to indulge in
archaeological research, that is ...

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk