MX records for new additional domain on existing authoritative name servers

Lear, Karen (Evolver) Karen.Lear at USPTO.GOV
Tue Mar 30 20:30:39 UTC 2010

I'm adding a new domain to my existing authoritative name servers, and need to add an MX record for a device on the existing domain.  That device will serve both domains until we get a new box in and then we will have separate MX records/devices for each domain.  I have created a new zone file and modified named.conf to include the new zone.  When I run named-checkzone, I get a message about the MX record being out of zone and not having an A record.  However, at the end of my named-checkzone output, I get "OK."  Can I restart named as is without causing problems or do I need to address these messages?

Thx,

[klear at mynameserver]$ sudo named-checkzone -t /dns/chroot/conf -D NEWDOMAIN.gov MYNEWZONEFILE
zone NEWDOMAIN.gov/IN: NEWDOMAIN.gov/MX 'MX1.OLDDOMAIN.gov' (out of zone) has no addresses records (A or AAAA)
zone NEWDOMAIN.gov/IN: NEWDOMAIN.gov/MX 'MX2.OLDDOMAIN.gov' (out of zone) has no addresses records (A or AAAA)
OK