Subdomain delegation only returns SOA on dig

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue Mar 30 22:45:24 UTC 2010

On 2010/03/29, at 15:34, Prabhat Rana wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm running BIND 9.6.1-P1 on a Solaris box. This DNS (ns1.spx.net) is authoritative to domain spx.net (this is just example). And I'm trying to delegate nse.spx.net to ns1.nse.spx.net. I think I have configured correctly but when I run a dig from a different DNS node for a subdoamin within nse.spx.net like mil.nse.spx.net, it responds only SOA in the Auth section. Its missing the NS from the zone files. The snapshot of my named.conf file
>
> zone "spx.net" {
>        type master;
>        file "/opt/named/db.spx.net";
> };
>
> zone "nse.spx.net" {
>        type master;
>        file "/opt/named/db.nse.spx.net";
> };

Do these both appear on the same name server (ns1.spx.net)?  If so, then ns1.spx.net thinks it is authoritative for nse.spx.net, and isn't going to hand out a referral.

If you want ns1.spx.net to refer queries for nse.spx.net to ns1.nse.spx.net, then you need to add this record to the spx.net zone, and remove the nse.spx.net zone from ns1.spx.net:
nse IN NS ns1.nse.spx.net

Matt