Preparing for upcoming DNSSEC changes on 5/5

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon May 3 19:54:39 UTC 2010

To follow up on Peter's question what does it mean if one sees the
"reply size limit is at least" with a value lower than the advertised
EDNS buffer size?

This link talks about various scenarios but not that one so I'm not sure
if this means Peter and I need to be concerned.

I saw similar results as Peter so set my edns-udp-size to 3839 which was
the lower "at least value I saw when it was advertising 4096. (I saw
3843 on the other test.)

On doing that however, I now see the advertised value is 3839 but the
"at least" value is 3828 on one and 3827 on the other as shown below.
Based on that it appears one should NOT set the edns-udp-size as it
doesn't fix the problem.

The issue
[root at dswadns1 etc]# dig txt test.rs.ripe.net +short
rst.x3828.rs.ripe.net.
rst.x3793.x3828.rs.ripe.net.
rst.x3799.x3793.x3828.rs.ripe.net.
"12.44.84.213 sent EDNS buffer size 3839"
"12.44.84.213 summary bs=3839,rs=3828,edns=1,do=1"
"12.44.84.213 DNS reply size limit is at least 3828 bytes"

[root at dswadns1 etc]# dig +short rs.dns-oarc.net txt
rst.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net.
rst.x3797.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net.
rst.x3803.x3797.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net.
"Tested at 2010-05-03 19:35:55 UTC"
"12.44.84.213 sent EDNS buffer size 3839"
"12.44.84.213 DNS reply size limit is at least 3827"