Authoritative Redundancy

Baird, Josh jbaird at follett.com
Wed May 19 20:19:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

I currently have three authoritative servers in the RRset for my
internal zones:

        NS      dns01.blah.com.
        NS      dns02.blah.com.
        NS      dns03.blah.com.

DNS01 is the sole master for my internal zones.  I have a number of
resolving DNS servers throughout my environment that contain slave
definitions for my internal zones to override recursion.  These slave
definitions use DNS01 as their master (only DNS01, not DNS02/03).

zone "example.com." IN {
        type slave;
        masters { DNS01's_IP_ADDRESS; };
        file "hosts/slaves/example.com-hosts";
};

DNS02 and DNS03 also contain slave zones for all of my internal zones.
Their master is also DNS01.

My question is.. am I gaining anything by having DNS02/DNS03?  With
DNS01 being my sole master, it doesn't seem like DNS02/DNS03 are
providing any additional benefit.  How could I make a better use of
DNS02/DNS03?  Recursion is disabled on them, and no clients directly
query them; they query the numerous resolving DNS servers throughout the
environment.

Thanks,

Josh