Understanding Total QPS from named stats

ivan jr sy ivan_jr at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 02:37:34 UTC 2010

Hi Bind Users,

Good day. I wish to know what is the industry standard when dealing with the "TOTAL QPS" and how do we calculate this with BIND?

My understanding of "QPS" is the queries that a DNS server has received regardless if it was dealt with a successful response, nxdomain or timed-out due to lame.

But is there a best practice in calculating it from the named stats?

Can the dynamic updates, notify and such be considered as queries?

There are several monitoring systems, load balancers and the like that monitors Total QPS from a DNS server registered in the system. I wish to create an in-house script to calculate the same way.

I got a two instances (with 1 minute differential) sampling of rndc stats of two DNS caching servers.

Thank you.

The first take showed the following

++ Name Server Statistics ++
          5818360608 IPv4 requests received
                4463 IPv6 requests received
               16627 requests with EDNS(0) received
              213523 TCP requests received
              709406 auth queries rejected
            10280592 recursive queries rejected
                  10 update requests rejected
             1165166 truncated responses sent
          4692675534 queries resulted in successful answer
           137516372 queries resulted in authoritative answer
          5469041736 queries resulted in non authoritative answer
              339189 queries resulted in referral answer
           199466607 queries resulted in nxrrset
            77252124 queries resulted in SERVFAIL
           714076778 queries resulted in NXDOMAIN
           980927690 queries caused recursion
            86311171 duplicate queries received
            31745639 queries dropped
            10990123 other query failures

a minute later...

++ Name Server Statistics ++
          5817893991 IPv4 requests received
                4463 IPv6 requests received
               16627 requests with EDNS(0) received
              213516 TCP requests received
              708839 auth queries rejected
            10279493 recursive queries rejected
                  10 update requests rejected
             1165099 truncated responses sent
          4692279730 queries resulted in successful answer
           137507789 queries resulted in authoritative answer
          5468595382 queries resulted in non authoritative answer
              339185 queries resulted in referral answer
           199450131 queries resulted in nxrrset
            77248026 queries resulted in SERVFAIL
           714034125 queries resulted in NXDOMAIN
           980871535 queries caused recursion