how to see ALL NS records in a zone file with dig

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Fri Nov 12 20:40:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, M. Meadows wrote:
> If I use dig NS <domain name> I know I will see the NS records for the
> domain. I know I can do the same thing for other RR types. In the case
> where a zone file has RR records that define delegation for subdomains why
> can't I use this dig command to see those delegations? I assume this is
> easy and it's just something I've forgotten how to do. Thanks for any help
> you can provide!

Try adding "+norec" to the dig command to disable recursion by the server:
    dig +norec -t ns <name> @<server>

That will get the NS records as known by the parent above the delegation cut,
instead of the NS records as known by the child below the delegation cut.
Differences in those sets can sometimes be, shall we say, interesting.