Is it Possible to Log nxdomain Responses?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Nov 17 13:48:55 UTC 2010

We are chasing down some problems in which clients are trying to
resolve lookups to a domain related to Microsoft Active
Directory zones. We were able to determine that clients were
querying this AD zone when it was thought they weren't needing
to do so.

	We enabled querylogging for a short time and saw a
specific test system querying the domain and we were able to
dump the cache of the master DNS running bind9.7.1 and saw
numerous nxdomains for that zone. It would be nice to log each
nxdomain for a while so we can verify that the new deligated
zone we are about to install fixed the problem.

Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer