Nslookup not working for external domain

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Nov 19 03:11:15 UTC 2010

In message <barmar-7A12CD.21563118112010 at reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated
.example.com>, Barry Margolin writes:
> In article <mailman.807.1290086898.555.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>  "Moore, Mark A." <mmoore at osmre.gov> wrote:
>
> > I have figured out and resolved my issue.  For some reason I could not read
>
> > the contents of the db.rootcache file. So I deleted and downloaded a new
> > copy. Now everything is working. Thx to all for your assistance.
>
> I thought BIND now has a compiled-in set of root hints, to use as an
> ultimate default.  I guess this isn't used if the hints are configured
> but unreadable.  Perhaps you should submit this as a bug report.

Why does it need a bug report?  If you have a hint zone in named.conf
then falling back to the built-in hints is just plain wrong as named
would be doing something that you have told it not to do.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org