Help with the subzone problem

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Nov 25 09:50:41 UTC 2010

On 25.11.10 10:10, Tech W. wrote:
> We have a zone in Bind, for example, abc.com
> We designate a subzone of it to another dns server, for eaxmple, F5's 3DNS.
>
> The corresponding RR in Bind is:
>
> games.abc.com.  IN  NS  3600  ns1.example.com.
> games.abc.com.  IN  NS  3600  ns2.example.com.

so, there are glue NS records in abc.com for games.abc.com, right?

> But F5's 3DNS can't setup the NS records for games.abc.com.
> That means, when query to:
>
> dig games.abc.com ns @ns1.example.com

are the NS records for games.abc.com also in the games.abc.com ?
They must be there, games.abc.com will not fetch glue records from abc.com.

And in fact, since games.abc.com is authoritative for games.abc.com (of
course... those in abc.com are JUST GLUE), there are probably no NS records
for games.abc.com.

try "dig any games.abc.com @ns1.example.com"