multiple slave zones pointing to same file?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Oct 2 18:59:55 UTC 2010

On 10/2/2010 11:16 AM, online-reg wrote:
> Hi All: I’m building a new Bind 9.7.1-P2 slave server and am taking an
> opportunity to review my conf files.
>
> I have a number of zones on the primary that all point to the same zone
> configuration file. On my slave server, is there any way to configure
> named.conf so that multiple zones are all “aliased” to the same zone
> config?
>
> Previously, I was using a basic slave config statement for each zone:
>
> zone "domain.com" { type slave; file "domain.com.zone"; masters {
> 192.168.0.1; }; };
>
> but, it seems like a lot of unnecessary files are being created?
>
> I thought about using the same file name for all the slave zones
> statements in named.conf, but wouldn't that force the file to be
> overwritten multiple times for no reason?

How often does the file change? If the answer is "not often" then a
little file system churn is harmless.

IME the best way to do this on a Unix'y system is to use hard links.
That way if you ever need to change one of them to be its own file it's
trivial to do so. Also IME, BIND doesn't react well to having multiple
slave zones sharing the same file, but that may have improved in more
recent versions, I haven't tried it for a couple of years now.

hth,

Doug