OT: Propagation of my NS records?

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 4 15:18:22 UTC 2010

On Oct 4 2010, online-reg wrote:

>Hi All: I think this is a little OT, but I'm wondering why changes to
>my NS records aren't propagating when my NS is authoritative for my domain?
>
>enigmedia.com is registered at NetSol and delegated to my NS:
>
>ns.enigmedia.com (running on bind9/fedora)
>ns1.enigmedia.com (running on bind9/Freebsd)
>
>Global TTL is 3h and TTL for the "NS1" record is 1200, but after changing
>the IP address of ns1 more than 24 hrs ago, it is not being picked up by
>NetSol's servers.
>
>NetSol is returning the old record: 209.159.154.165, while my zone file
>has 216.218.228.131.

It's only returning it as "glue", not as an answer. Glue is not updated
automatically.

>I've seen this issue reported over the years, and the recommendation seems
>to be "complain to NetSol".
>
>Just wondering if something in my zone config is wrong, or if this is normal
>for changes to NS records? NetSol is just ignoring my TTLs and caching the
>old IP for as long as it wants?

You need to go through the procedure with Network Solutions that will give
the new address for ns1.enigmedia.com in the output of

  whois -h whois.networksolutions.com enigmedia.com

Just as you would if you were changing NS records.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk