Unable to query the nameserver

Greg Whynott Greg.Whynott at oicr.on.ca
Mon Oct 4 21:37:14 UTC 2010

someone with way more bind clues than I would be able to give you a better answer.    the error returned begs two questions..

1. is this server behind or running a local firewall?
2. is bind actually listening on the proper interface?

you could confirm #2 by typing 'nslookup ns1.example.de 1.1.1.1'  where 1.1.1.1 is the ip of the local machine(you could even do this on another machine,  its telling the resolver to use 1.1.1.1 as the name server for initial queries,  if it works internally,  try an exterior machine to run the command on).  it should return your A RR.  also you could try typing " netstat -an | grep \:53\ | grep LIST " and see if its listening on the proper interface.

do the logs complain about any zones?  something like "not loading zone X"..

good luck with things,
-g