Unable to query the nameserver

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 23:01:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 00:29, Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer.net> wrote:
> I would like to help but since you are refusing to post the real ip address
> or the real hostnames or the real domain names involved, I can not.  I could
> do some testing from here to see if your firewall was configured correctly
> or what the view was from outside your network.  But I can not.

Thanks Lyle for the offer. Actually, I would very much appreciate if
you should me what to check so that I might do it myself. Although my
concern is in fact to get this configured, my goal is to learn and I'm
at a loss for which tools/commands to use to check that. How would you
go about it?

> You appear to be posting sanitized portions of named.conf, so we can not
> tell if you have a typo in there that would cause this problem.

I assure you that a typo in the domain name or IP address is not the
issue, nor a missing period after the domain name. I've gone over
that!

> You may
> also be bypassing a firewall misconfiguration because of your testing
> methods, but we can not tell as you are not posting the real IP addresses.

No firewall at this stage.

> Even though the ip addresses involved are registered for web and dns
> services that should be availible to the world anyway.

Yes, of course, I have no illusions that they might be hidden!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com