Unable to query the nameserver

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 18:07:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 23:37, Greg Whynott <Greg.Whynott at oicr.on.ca> wrote:
> someone with way more bind clues than I would be able to give you a better answer.    the error returned begs two questions..
>
> 1. is this server behind or running a local firewall?
> 2. is bind actually listening on the proper interface?
>
> you could confirm #2 by typing 'nslookup ns1.example.de 1.1.1.1'  where 1.1.1.1 is the ip of the local machine(you could even do this on another machine,  its telling the resolver to use 1.1.1.1 as the name server for initial queries,  if it works internally,  try an exterior machine to run the command on).  it should return your A RR.  also you could try typing " netstat -an | grep \:53\ | grep LIST " and see if its listening on the proper interface.

It is listening on the right port, but it's not looking up properly I think:

# nslookup ns1.sharingserver.de 178.63.65.171
Server:         178.63.65.171
Address:        178.63.65.171#53

** server can't find ns1.sharingserver.de: NXDOMAIN

However, another site that _does_ work (with both nameservers on this
host, not just ns1) shows the same thing:

# nslookup ns1.sharingserver.eu 178.63.65.136
Server:         178.63.65.136
Address:        178.63.65.136#53

** server can't find ns1.sharingserver.eu: NXDOMAIN

Note that both the 171 and 136 addresses are on the same hardware
(eth0 and eth0:1)

> do the logs complain about any zones?  something like "not loading zone X"..

I don't see a named or bind log, but messages is clean of such things.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com