More ignorance (I have no shame) /var/named conventions

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Tue Oct 5 19:14:54 UTC 2010

  In the standard 'yum install bind' installation, I see there are
/var/named/data and /var/named/slaves directories.  What are they for?  I do so
like to follow standards particularly if there is a good reason :)
In AIX, everything was just there (in /etc/dns).
I plan to use views and have the internal zone files in /var/named/internal (or
/var/named/data/internal) and the external zone files in /var/named/external (or
/var/named/data/external).
What is /var/named/slaves for?

Enlighten my ignorance, please.....

I take it if you define an internal view and then, subsequently, an external
view with
match-clients {any;};
that it isn't really an any but an "everything else"...?
--
"One must think like a hero to behave like a merely decent human being." - May
Sarton Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Bard College, New York 12504