Unable to query the nameserver

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 19:49:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 20:30, Eivind Olsen <eivind at aminor.no> wrote:
>> However, another site that _does_ work (with both nameservers on this
>> host, not just ns1) shows the same thing:
>>
>> # nslookup ns1.sharingserver.eu 178.63.65.136
>> Server:         178.63.65.136
>> Address:        178.63.65.136#53
>>
>> ** server can't find ns1.sharingserver.eu: NXDOMAIN
>
> How do you mean this one is working? It's working just as badly as your
> first example.

Yes, but typing the domain into Firefox brings up the webpage that
I've put on that server!

> I've tried looking up the domain "sharingserver.de" and "sharingserver.eu"
> on both the IP addresses you listed, and in all cases your nameserver
> replies with NXDOMAIN - it doesn't know about those domains.
>
>> I don't see a named or bind log, but messages is clean of such things.
>
> I don't think you've mentioned which OS you're running, and whether you run
> a bundled or self-compiled version of BIND, so I'm not sure where it puts
> its logs by default. Do you see _any_ mention of "named" in your
> /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog or similar files if you restart BIND?
> How to restart it depends on your distribution, whether you use bundled BIND
> etc. It might be "service named restart" on one distribution, and "rndc
> stop" followed by "/usr/local/sbin/named" on another, or "/etc/rc.d/named
> restart" on yet another.. And I'm not good at guessing :D

Sorry, it's CentOS 5.5 and I'm running the distro's packaged bind.
There are a few Bind messages in /var/log/messages but no errors
(other than no-start error when I have a bad config).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com