Unable to query the nameserver

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Oct 6 15:09:38 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 01:53:29 +1100
> From: Ben McGinnes <ben at adversary.org>
>
> On 7/10/10 1:47 AM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > I keep hoping for a BIND distro that upgrades nslookup(1) to:
> >   print STDERR, "nslookup(1) has been replaced by host(1)\n"; exit 0;
>
> Wasn't nslookup already deprecated about ten years or so ago?

I can find nothing in the documentation that states such. If I missed
it, I'd appreciate someone pointing me at it.

I quit using nslookup over 16 years ago (since it was before I moved to
my current job) and have an near automatic response of "Could you check
this using 'host'"? Often that is followed by a dig command they can cut
and paste if they are not on Windows.

dig(1) is clearly the ideal choice, but it's really a bit too much for
normal users other than as cut 'n' paste.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)