AXFR partially timed out

Beat Jucker beat at juckers.ch
Mon Oct 11 21:11:19 UTC 2010

> >I have a very strange problem with AXFR. We are using a master and a
> >secondary DNS Server with an internal and an external view. Depending
> >on the source address the secondary server will get the internal or
> >external view for zone transfer.
> >
> >Everything is working correct so far except only one specific zone file
> >won't get transferred. In the external view there are about 70 zones
> >defined. Every zone will get transferred except one and only one won't.
> >Therefor there can't be a problem with the firewall.
> >
> >Then I scaled down the seconday DNS server to just about 2 zones and
> >again: this specific zone file won't get transfered even the master
> >said "AXFR started" and "AXFR ended" for this particular zone. On
> >the secondary server I'll get "giving up: timed out".

> Is the problem zone larger than the ones that are not a problem?  If so
> it may be a MTU problem, or even a firewall that does things differently
> based on packet sizes.

Indeed the trouble zone is about double the size of other zones.
Both DNS servers are Solaris boxes and comunicate by plain TCP (no VPN).
How can I check for MTU problem and how can I influence it?

When I ask for the zone by dig utility everything is ok but not
when the zone get requested by named ... head scraping ...

Thanks a lot
-- Beat