Clarification about DNS notify

Sherin George list at sheringeorge.co.cc
Fri Sep 10 08:12:00 UTC 2010

Hello Torsten,

Thanks for looking into this.

Basically, my previous question came from my ignorance. But, I learned
more and I think found the answer.

"The SOA MNAME field is used by NOTIFY and by dynamic update.
Authoritative name servers send NOTIFY messages to all name servers in
NS records that aren't in the MNAME field, and dynamic updaters try to
send updates to the name server listed in the MNAME field first, if
it's also listed in the NS records for the zone."

I could confirm that most of the zones are configured such that
serverB will receive NOTIFY as per above statement. So, if above
statement is correct, I am with my answer :)

Thank you so much for your help :)

P.S:

>> A wild guess would be that you're missing a "notify no" or "notify
master-only" option on your slave servers.

I have verified that  "notify no" or "notify master-only" are not used
in my named.conf file.

--
Best Regards,
Sherin