DNSSEC, views & trusted keys...

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 21:01:31 UTC 2010

On Sep 12, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

> I could not get private stub nor forward zones to work if their public parent is signed and does not have a delegation to the private zone.

Does it work if the parent does have a DS record for the child covered by the stub zone? I would expect it would not do so, since with a stub zone, the resolver ought to start resolution right there, thus never seeing the parent's DS record.

Instead, add a trusted key for the stub zone.

Conceptually, a stub zone is like a root hints zone. You need a trusted key for the root in order to trust its DNSKEY. The same should be true of stub zones.

Disclaimer: I have not actually tested this. It's never come up as a problem I've had to solve; stub zones have typically been for internal DNS environments, where DNSSEC rollout has not been a priority.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks