DNS resolution based on source network

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Mon Sep 27 13:39:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Thomas Elsgaard wrote:

> Hello
>
> Is it possible with BIND, to resolve the same name (like test.gl) to
> different IP's based on the source network of the request?
>
> Here is an example
>
> A machine in network 10.3.0.0/16 is contacting DNS to lookup
> "test.gl", DNS returns -> 10.0.0.2
> A machine in network 10.5.0.0/16 is contacting DNS to lookup
> "test.gl", DNS returns -> 10.0.0.5
>
> Thomas
Yes, by using "view".  I do it so all my internal machines are
XXX.maplepark.com, using the private network addresses while the external
world gets my public addresses.  The internal machines are still able to
get the external addresses by specifying the server address to be the
external IP (via host or dig).  Most don't need them though.  It does
require separate zone files though.  I don't mind sharing my .conf file -
just email me.

Dave
David Forrest                     e-mail   drf at maplepark.com
Maple Park Development Corporation  http://xen.maplepark.com
St. Louis, Missouri    (Sent by ALPINE 2.01 FEDORA 11 LINUX)