Round robin DNS query response

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Sep 29 19:54:22 UTC 2010

On 9/29/2010 12:37 AM, SW wrote:
> Hi everyone...
>
> I am rather new to the world of DNS so I'm hoping to get some of your
> expertise...
>
> Is there a way to make BIND respond DNS query in sequence?  For
> example, if I assign 2 IP addresses to an A record, is it possible to
> have it respond like...
>
> Client 1 for www.example.com -> 192.168.1.1
> Client 2 for www.example.com -> 192.168.1.2
> Client 3 for www.example.com -> 192.168.1.3
> ...and so on.
>
> I know companies use load balancer for this function, but my customer
> in this case don't really want to make additional investment  :P
Option A: round-robin+sortlist
Option B: views

Appropriate caveats for each approach.

Note that if these are Windows clients on the same subnets as the
www.example.com addresses, you could probably just get away with a plain
old round-robin and rely on the built-in Windows "subnet
prioritization", see
http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/dns/what-is-dns-round-robin-and-subnet-prioritization-.aspx