When does BIND send queries with DO flag enabled?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Sep 29 20:30:13 UTC 2010

> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:51:55 -0400
> From: "Taylor, Gord" <gord.taylor at rbc.com>
> Sender: bind-users-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.isc.org
>

> We recently ran into an intermittent problem sending queries to a
> business partner. Turns out they had CheckPoint firewalls with
> SmartDefense turned of for DNS traffic. This was blocking traffic going
> to them with DO flag enabled. I could duplicate the problem from a
> command line by issuing "dig @partner hostname +DNSSEC" and this failed
> everytime. When querying through the DNS server though using NSLOOKUP on
> WinXP, the resolution was hit-and-miss. Watching a sniffer trace,
> sometimes BIND 9.4.1-P1 would send with DO flag enabled, and other times
> without.
>
> I know this is an older version of BIND, and lots of bugs fixed in newer
> versions. However, looking at sniffer traces from 9.7.0-P2 shows the
> same behavior = sometimes DO is set and sometimes not set.
>
> Can someone explain when BIND sets DO flag and when it won't? Most of my
> client workstations are XPSP3, and NONE of the queries coming from those
> clients have DO flag set.
>
> Any help is appreciated...
>
> Gord Taylor (CISSP, GCIH, GEEK)

Gee, an annoying and stupid legal notices at the end of a mail message
is even more annoying when it is in several languages. (Yes, I
understand that some totally clueless lawyer earning a LOT more for not
thinking than you do for thinking is not your fault, but it's still
REALLY ANNOYING!)

The DO bit is set by default for the simple reason that your server is
DNSSEC capable. The DO bit says DNSSEC OK and is simply declaring that
the server is capable of handing (though not necessarily validating)

I assume that setting dnssec-enable to "no" will turn this bit off, but
please get the broken firewall fixed!

As to not always sending DO, I believe that is dependent on the query
from the client. It would depend on the source of the query. If it was
from the server to get data that would not be sent back to the client, I
imagine the DO bit would be set. (NS lookups during recursion would be
an example), while queries for return to the client will probably
follow the state of the DO bit seen in the query from the client. I'd
guess WINXP is not setting DO. I suspect WIN7 would.

This last section is largely an educated guess. I don't have time now to
read up on those details in the RFCs.

Again, get the @#$% firewall fixed! As time goes on, more and more
queries will be blocked by it as DNSSEC moves to the mainstream.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)