Is it possible to block resolution of a malware address?

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Fri Apr 1 15:03:04 UTC 2011

> That is, if we know that a symbolic address is malign, is there some way
> refuse to resolve it or change its resolution when an internal users asks
> for
> its resolution?

Two different ways of doing this:

- configure your BIND to believe it's authoritative for the address(es) in
question by configuring it as a zone

or, if you run a recent enough version of BIND:
- set up RPZ, it really is easy to implement (and has the advantage of
scaling nicely with multiple servers as well - configure the RPZ zone
somewhere and let normal zone transfers copy it to the other servers you
have as well)

Regards
Eivind Olsen
eivind at aminor.no