[RI-DISCUSS] Is it possible to block or modify DNS' resolution of a malware address?

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Fri Apr 1 15:41:50 UTC 2011

Came up with this as a simple straight-forward quick answer
http://www.malwaredomains.com/bhdns.html

My thanks to everyone who responded so quickly!

Our phishing email looked like this
> You have exceeded the storage capacity of your designated mail box and
> is thus required to revalidate immediately.
> you may not receive/send mails until your mailbox is revalidated,
> revalidation increases your mailbox storage capacity and is fast and easy.
> Please click here
> <http://www.update.10001mb.com/revalidate.php?webmail=form> to
> revalidate your mailbox.
> - Admin

Note that even tho my internal DNS server is now authoritative for 10001mb.com,
anyone who's swallowed the bait (before I set up the dummy domain) gets a cookie
set in the browser that keeps them going to that malign webpage even after the
address resolution call times out :(

--
<pre>
"One must think like a hero to behave like a merely decent human being." - May

Funny how it's women who see the real heroism (that of going on, of being true)
so clearly.
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Bard College, New York 12504 sdean at bard.edu
voice: 845-758-7475, fax: 845-758-7035
</pre>