9.8.0 in 2008 R2 x64 server

Jukka Pakkanen jukka.pakkanen at qnet.fi
Wed Apr 6 15:19:26 UTC 2011

6.4.2011 4:11, Danny Mayer kirjoitti:
> On 4/5/2011 8:05 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> In message<alpine.BSF.2.00.1104052216180.2544 at bikeshed.isc.org>, Dan Mahoney w
>> rites:
>>> 4

>> Windows Vista and Windows 2008 maps system32 filenames to a different
>> location that I can't remember off the top of my head.
>>
>> I would uninstall named and then re-install it in "C:\Program Files\ISC\BIND9"
>> or similar to avoid the mapping.  The location of the configuration files
>> are stored in the registry so everything should work if you do this.
>>
> I install my named to use d:/named/etc and avoid putting anything in
> system directories. It's a bad idea. You also need to make sure that you
> define the directory option in named.conf to point to this directory:

Thanks to all. Yeah the default install directory in 2008 is
c:\windows\sysWOW64\dns\...

After copying the etc\ files from old server, updating the path in
named.conf and giving full permissions to named user it now starts
fine.  Didn't notice the new install dir because right after install
xcopied the etc/ and subdirs, which af course created the upper level
dns\ dir as well, and everything seemed fine :)

Anyway I also think it's a good idea to move it to under "program files
(x86)" or somewhere else, until now just have followed the installer
defaults in our servers.

btw. any plans for a x64 windows version?