Change Query Type on nslookup

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 15:16:55 UTC 2011

On Apr 7 2011, Torinthiel wrote:

>On 04/07/11 06:42, mee thun wrote:
>> Good Morning..
>>
>> I am new member in this mailing list. I need help to change the query
>> type in the nslookup command.
>> The default nslookup using A, but I use ipv6 so the query type must use
>> AAAA. I don't know how to change the default nslookup from A to AAAA
>> permanently?
>
>first, this is a bind list, and nslookup is not a bind tool. Consider
>using dig, which is much better in this case.
>
>And, IIRC, when you run nslookup you can put
>set type=AAAA
>yourquery.com
>
>and that should give the effect you want
>I have no idea how to change the default query type for any of the tools.

Well (at least as long as it *is* BIND's nslookup) you can specify it
on the command line

  nslookup -type=aaaa

if that counts as "changing the default", or even define

  alias nslookup6='nslookup -type=aaaa'

using your favorite shell.

The real answer to the OP, I'm afraid, is RTFM. The (horrible) syntax
of nslookup option settings is perfectly well described in its man page.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk