A beginners question regarding a caching-only name server

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Apr 8 10:11:51 UTC 2011

Patrick Rynhart <P.Rynhart at massey.ac.nz> wrote:

> I am new to using BIND and thought that I would start by setting up a
> caching-only name server on a VM running CentOS 5.5.  While in this
> mode, my understanding is that named should be passively listening for
> any DNS requests that are resolved and be adding them to its local DB.
>
> Adding localhost to /etc/resolv.conf shouldn't be necessary in order for
> entries to be added to the DB but obviously required if you want to make
> use of the DNS caching.

No, only DNS requests that are handled by the server itself are cached.
There is no sniffing going on.

Tony.
Fair Isle, Faeroes, South-east Iceland: Westerly 6 to gale 8, occasionally
severe gale 9 in Fair Isle and Faeroes, backing southerly 4 or 5. Rough or
very rough, occasionally high at first. Rain or showers. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor.