named crashed (mem.c:1099: INSIST(ctx->stats[i].gets == 0U) failed)

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Tue Apr 12 14:50:05 UTC 2011

> daemon:crit named[221184]: mem.c:1099: INSIST(ctx->stats[i].gets == 0U) failed
> daemon:crit named[221184]: exiting (due to assertion failure)
>
> named restarted fine and running without any problem. Does anyone have
> any idea why named crashed with these errors??? Is it a bug in bind??
> We're running bind 9.7.3.

Yes, it's definitely a bug (named should never have an assertion failure).
Please send as much information as you can (named -V output, named.conf,
logs, etc) to bind9-bugs at isc.org.

In this case, that doesn't look like a crash to me, though.  That's the
error you see when you're shutting down named in the usual way (i.e.,
kill -INT or rndc stop) and it detects during shutdown that some memory
had been allocated but not freed.  If you run named with the "-m record"
option, it will list in the log exactly where all the unfreed blocks of
memory had been allocated.  That record-keeping has an impact on
performance, but it can help a lot with locating the problem.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.