AW: ipv6 PTR in zone file

Michel de Nostredame d.nostra at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 22:58:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Niall O'Reilly <Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie> wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2011, at 10:49, Michel de Nostredame wrote:
>> Thanks Walter and Marco. Those two tool/method do resolve short term
>> needs. Thanks again.
>> (btw, the URL form Walter should be
>> ftp://ftp.bieringer.de/pub/linux/IPv6/ipv6calc/ )
>>
>> Beside them, is any potential possibility to have something build-in
>> in BIND config/zone file as kind of beautiful (my, and my team,
>> personal point of view) solution?
>>
>> Anyone knows if there was any similar discussions inside BIND
>> developer group before?
>
>        Not that I recall.
>
>        I'm not sure what benefit you see in adding a feature to
>        the BIND server and tools.  I should have thought that a
>        suitable script, either for provisioning your zone file(s)
>        or for applying a dynamic update, would both relieve any
>        burden you currently have, and leave you more flexibility
>        than would an extension to BIND.

If there is $REVERSE (or some similar directive) can put inside ZONE
file and named.conf file, then it would be a good help for those
people who need to manually manage PTR records. From regular people
point of view, it could be easier to read, maintain and less possible
of human errors.

Not sure how large will be the effort to add a new directive into
BIND, but that just a feed back, and wish, from me and my team
members, who needs to maintain few hundreds of statically assigned IPs
for servers and CE/PE routers.

--
Michel~