start script for bind9

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Thu Apr 14 15:53:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Alan Clegg wrote:

> On 4/14/2011 10:23 AM, hugo hugoo wrote:
>
>> I know that if bind is installed via apt-get install (I am using debian
>> linux version), there is automatically a bind9 startup script in
>> /etc/init.d/ directory.
>
> Since named "just works" and I do everything else using rndc, I have the
> following line in /etc/rc.local:
>
>        /usr/local/sbin/named
>
> AlanC

I also find that named "just works" and, since the source install uses the
/usr/local/sbin as the default target, it does not overwrite my
distribution (Fedora) binary.  It is also important to my setup that named
is always running so I use a root crontab entry:
/usr/bin/pgrep named >/dev/null ||  /usr/local/sbin/named -u named
that runs every minute to insure it is up.  I can then stop it with
rndc stop  and it will restart on the next minute's crontab event.

I can return to my distribution's upstart by stopping using the rndc and
immediately start it's binary using the service command, but have found
the ISC source tarballs a better solution to my needs that include DNSSEC
and IPv6 while Fedora 11 is EOL.  YMMV.

Dave F
--
St. Louis, Missouri    (Sent by ALPINE 2.02 FEDORA 11 LINUX)