slave timers

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Mon Apr 18 16:19:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011, hugo hugoo wrote:
> I am testing the migration bind8  to Bind9 and the working for slave zones.
>
> To do this, I have put the following values to the timers in the master zone.
>
> $ORIGIN com.
> toto      3600    IN      SOA     ns1.toto.com. postmaster.toto.com. (
>
>                 2011041404 302 3600 604800 3600 )

> It is really not working good!
>
> - Are there some constraint  in the timer values?
>
>   For my test I have a 302 seconds expired time   can this work even if
> this timer is smaller than the other ones?

The second parameter is the refresh timer, not the expire timer.

302 seconds is pretty short.  Assuming your master->slave notifies are
working correctly an hour or 2 (3600 or 7200 seconds) should be fine for a
refresh timer value, but there are probably valid reasons to use shorter
values.

> - When I do a 'rndc reload' on the slave name server, there is no AXFR
> request to the Master.
>
> - When I do a bind9 stop/start on the slave name server, there is no AXFR
> request to the master.
>
> - There is no AXFR request to the master every 302 seconds.

The slave will check the SOA serial number it has against that of the master.
If the master's is newer, it will transfer the zone.  If not, the slave has
current data so doesn't need to transfer it again.

Are you incrementing the SOA serial number on the master?

"rndc retransfer <zone>" on the slave will force a transfer, ignoring the SOA
serial number.  See if that works.