Forwarding a subzone of a master zone

Olivier Cherrier oc at symacx.com
Tue Apr 19 06:57:51 UTC 2011

	Hi,

I am experiencing problems to get a working forwarding configuration.

I am using BIND 9.3.6-P1 and the server has the global recursion parameter
on. The server is not on a public network (not on Internet -- no access
to root servers).

I have a zone called "example.com" for which the server is master.
A delegation called "sub.example.com" is in place and is working well.

I want to change the recursion parameter from 'yes' to 'no' in order to
get rid of the timeouts we get when we query something that is not
defined in our DNS server (like www.google.com).
Doing this breaks the delegation "sub.example.com", meaning the server
doesn't do the research anymore for the subzone.
So I deleted the delegation and configured a forward zone to the right
IP addresses.  The problem is named doesn't even try to query those
forwarders and directly reply: "No answer"

While it works for some other forwarded zones (reverse and non-reverse),
I fail to understand why it doesn't work for that particular zone.
The only difference I see is that this forwarded zone is a subzone of
"example.com" for which the server is master.

So my question: Is there any limitation to forward a subzone while we
are master for the parent zone?

Thanks a lot!
Best regards.

--