Separating zone file for static usage and DDNS

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 17:57:51 UTC 2011

A zone is atomically either static or dynamic. There is no mix.

You can freeze a dynamic zone, rendering it temporarily static, and then hand-edit the zone file. This has several side effects, including that incoming updates are dropped while the zone is frozen.

You can consider breaking the zone into a parent and one or more subzones, and then set each zone to be either static or dynamic.

You can learn to use nsupdate, and forget about ever editing the zone file again (other than while it's frozen).

You can use a DNS management system such as those offered by my company and several competitors, and thus not have to think about how to use nsupdate any more.

Regards,
Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks