what does dig +trace do?

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Wed Aug 31 15:29:59 UTC 2011

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I believe what is missing the root cache file.
>
> The root server would have glue records point to GTLDs, like this
>
> Then the GTLDs would have glue records pointing to nameserver of the
> domain you are trying to trace.
>
> What you are seeing is your local nameservers, it seems to me they don't
> have access to the Internet or a firewall is blocking some of the
> response or you don't have the root cache file to do hints or
> combination of all the above.

Hi Gary,

yes, all of the above. But this is no mistake, it's the intended architecture.

My DNS-server is an internal one without any conection to the internet. There is no root hint file because I have a internal root zone on my own. And my root servers have the glue records in this root zone and the NS records for the TLDs as well.

So dig +trace should work. Or has the trace-option the IP-addresses of the Internet-root-servers hardwired in the the sourcecode?