CNAME only zone?

Dixon, Justin Justin.Dixon at BBandT.com
Fri Dec 9 18:36:00 UTC 2011

> "Also note that other workarounds will solve the same problem in a
better
> way."
>
> Care to enlighten me as to what those workarounds would be?

If all the use cases for the CNAME are for http traffic, just configure
an http server/load balancer/etc. under your control to return a 302 or
301 redirect back to the client browser and you maintain control if
needs change in the future.

1. Point DNS A record for shop4water.com to an IP of a webserver under
your control...
2. Use <insert your favorite webserver here> (using URL Rewrite rules,
perl, etc.) to send a redirect back to the browser to direct them to the
shop4water.hostedbywebstore.com URL.

Depending on whether you want to preserve the URL or not can vary the
type of redirects that you will be configuring but that is fairly simple
to setup on a variety of well known http servers.