dealing with multi-homed machine

donovan jeffrey j donovan at beth.k12.pa.us
Wed Feb 9 01:44:19 UTC 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

> In message <3AD9C812-CBA3-4DCD-A27E-26E63D912865 at beth.k12.pa.us>, donovan jeffr
> ey j writes:
>> Greetings
>>
>> I have an external dns server that serves a group of systems. One of the syst
>> ems has a secondary interface with private address space. Dns should not be r
>> equesting from here but i am seeing these warnings coming from my external sy
>> stem;
>>
>> security: warning: client 209.96.96.108#49534: view com.basd.DNS.public: RFC
>> 1918 response from Internet for 108.1.135.10.in-addr.arpa
>>

>> how do I keep that internal zone from being seen ? Do I have to firewall dns
>> queries between interfaces on the server ?
>> tia
>
> Please go read the FAQ. http://www.isc.org/software/bind/faq

thanks mark,

It appears my case may be a programming error from the server admin. But this brings up the case of views.

on my external dns server i should add an empty zone file ? what does that send back to the offending request?

zone "10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "empty";
};

is there a way i can redirect him back to the Internal dns server for 1918 requests,... ( and i think the answer is ,.. let the internal answer the initial request so it never comes up to the outside).

-j