syntax/format of zone on slave $ORIGIN/paragraph - sorted?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 10 03:27:40 UTC 2011

In article <mailman.43.1297269285.10842.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Walter Smith <whatisee1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have bind/named running on Linux master and slaves. All is good, but now
> when I’m trying to clean up some old records – I realized that sorted zone on
> slaves are quite uneven. What I meant is, the $ORIGIN splits the zone into
> some unknown to me syntax/format. Is there anywhere I can find the
> description/documentation on it – How exactly slave parse the zone from
> master and puts all these arbitrary paragraphs with $ORIGIN.

When writing the zone file on a slave, BIND uses $ORIGIN so that all
records just have a single label.  So instead of writing:

foo.bar IN A 1.2.3.4

it will write:

$ORIGIN bar

foo IN A 1.2.3.4

If you have a zone with lots of levels of subdomain, the file will have
lots of $ORIGIN statements as a result.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA