host unreachable, but i can ping it

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Jan 10 07:59:26 UTC 2011

On 07.01.11 12:54, Jay G. Scott wrote:
> i get, and have always gotten, billions of these messages.
>
> Jan  2 07:37:43 ns2 named[3028]: client 10.4.1.6#33823: view internal: error sending response: host unreachable
>
> the story is that these are the results of attempted zone transfers.

apparently client tries access your server from host behind firewall, that
will allow to send request, but not to receive response. Invalid, but
apparently quite common FW configuration.

Another possibility is that someone is sending requests with fake source IP
10.4.1.6.

dumping traffic between your server and 10.4.1.6 would tell you more.

Microsoft dick is soft to do no harm