failed multi-view zone transfer

jeffreyp bindusers at bindusers.exjay.com
Sat Jan 22 03:32:55 UTC 2011

greetings,

i'm in the midst of an odd problem (to me, anyway) and would appreciate
any pointers.

three servers, all running bind-9.7.2-P3 compiled from source with the
same options.  one master; two slaves.  two views:  internal and
external.  one master and one slave are on the same subnet with just a
switch between 'em; the other slave is on a different subnet "out on the
internet".

i'm wanting to have both views for all zones transferred to both slaves.
  i've set things up with tsig and per mark andrews' great scheme
documented at
http://www.mail-archive.com/bind-users@lists.isc.org/msg03593.html

transfers from the master to the slave on its same subnet happen as
desired; transfers from the master to the slave on the different subnet
do not.

notify logging shows that the notifies are being properly received by
both slaves.

my master zone definitions specify also-notify for both slaves.  each
slave zone definition specifies a masters statement.

what i've observed (initially because of a typo and quite by chance) is
that the transfer to the slave on the internet does not happen if the
host specified in the SOA's MNAME field is also specified in an NS record.

but if the host specified in the SOA's MNAME field is not an NS record
then the transfer does complete.  and therein lies the problem.

i've intentionally not posted my config, thinking someone might
recognize this off the top of their head.  i will certainly post it if
necessary.

thanks,

jeffreyp