Forward using CNAME record

Henry Hartley henry at dotrose.com
Tue Jan 25 15:18:36 UTC 2011

My apologies if this gets to the list twice. I tried to post it through
the web interface but it seems to have been dropped by whatever
screening gets applied.

I'm not sure if I've misunderstood the use of CNAME or if I've simply
done something wrong.

I have two domains that I want to forward. One is working properly and
the other is not. In both cases I want users to enter a URL in their
browser (www.example.com) and be forwarded to a different system, where
the user has their site. In the working case, the forwarding it to
web.me.com so I have the following in my zone file:

www.example.com.   CNAME   web.me.com.

When you point your browser to www.example.com (obviously not
"example") the page on web.me.com loads properly but www.example.com is
still displayed in the address bar.

In the second case, which is NOT working, I have a similar CNAME record
but instead of web.me.com, it's on tumblr.com. So, I have this (this is
the actual domain):

www.ioanamorosan.com.  CNAME   ioanamorosan.tumblr.com.

If you go directly to ioanamorosan.tumblr.com, the site loads, but if
you go to www.ioanamorosan.com, you get a tumblr.com 404 error page. The
browser still displays www.ioanamorosan.com in the address bar.

So, is this a situation where web.me.com is set up to recognize
www.example.com properly but tumblr.com is not? Or what?

Should I be able to do what I'm trying to do?

--
Henry