odd dig results for fqdn

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Jan 25 18:47:51 UTC 2011

On 25.01.11 13:14, M. Meadows wrote:
> From: "M. Meadows" <sun-guru at live.com>
> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:14:45 -0500
> Subject: RE: odd dig results for fqdn
> To: dot at dotat.at
> Cc: bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
>

> Thank you Tony.
>
> I see a cname pointing to another cname in this output. Is that the invalid cname?

> I thought that sort of record was discouraged but not against the rules.
> When I do a query on these cnames I get answers that seem meaningful.
> I wonder why this would cause the odd results we are seeing ... where dig on fqdn fails until we do dig with +nssearch on the domain?

> > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> > getaroomgetadeal.com. 7200 IN SOA ns1.slicehost.net. hostmaster.getaroomgetadeal.com. 2011010501 28800 7200 604800 3600
> > getaroomgetadeal.com. 3600 IN CNAME www.getaroom.com.

CNAME cannot coexist with any other record, including SOA. That means, you
can NOT CNAME a domain delegated from anywhere. you only could do it in .com
domain, instead of delegating it anywhere, including NS records that are in
.com for getaroomgetadeal.com.

Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...