root hints

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 16:16:47 UTC 2011

On Jan 26 2011, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:20:18AM +0800, pyh at mail.nsbeta.info wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>  From what version of bind we won't include the root hints file in
>> named.conf? Since the bind server has been including it inherently.
>

>I could be wrong, but I think that all V9 and even all V8 had this
>"feature".

The relevant CHANGES file entry for BIND 9 would seem to be

 701. [func]   Root hints are now fully optional.  Class IN
               views use compiled-in hints by default, as
               before.  Non-IN views with no root hints now
               provide authoritative service but not recursion.
               A warning is logged if a view has neither root
               hints nor authoritative data for the root. [RT #696]

which puts it in BIND 9.2 but not in 9.1. I can't find any indication
in the CHANGES files or in my memory that BIND 8 ever had compiled-in
hints.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk