Disabling DNSSEC validation per zone?

Daniel McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Jul 8 16:14:09 UTC 2011

On 7/8/11 10:41 AM, "Phil Mayers" <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 08/07/11 15:13, Daniel McDonald wrote:
>> I have a number of zones being served by rbldnsd, with bind as a
>> front-end. The zones are defined as forward only in named.conf.
>>
>> When I enable dnssec validatation, these zones report that they are
>> insecure.
>> 08-Jul-2011 08:55:58.700 dnssec: info: validating @0xb4260ad8:
>> ips.backscatterer.local SOA: got insecure response; parent indicates it
>> should be secure
>>
>> I¹m not really certain which parent is reporting this
>
> Well, backscatterer.local presumably.
>
> What does:
>
> dig @localhost ips.backscatterer.local ds
>
> ...say?

NXDOMAIN
[~]$ dig @localhost ips.backscatterer.local ds

; <<>> DiG 9.8.0-P4 <<>> @localhost ips.backscatterer.local ds
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ips.backscatterer.local.    IN    DS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.            7957    IN    SOA    a.root-servers.net.
nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2011070800 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Jul  8 11:05:23 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 116

>> Is there a way to disable dnssec validation on these zones, while still
>> requiring it elsewhere?
>
> I believe not.

I guess that means I need to set aside a separate zone registered for my
rbls (I have a fair number of them) and not sign it.