Clients get DNS timeouts because ipv6 means more queries for each lookup

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Mon Jul 11 20:06:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 02:11:57PM -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> The number of DNS queries required for each address lookup requested by
> a client has gone up considerably because of IPV6. The problem is being
> exacerbated by the fact that many DNS servers on the net don't yet
> support IPV6 queries. The result is that address lookups are frequently
> taking so long that the client gives up before getting the result.

I've seen the same thing, and poked around enough to see that the Wikipedia name servers are returning the wrong authority info for these and other queries (it isn't just AAAA - try TXT, SRV, etc.) Some digging through the archives finds this:

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2011-March/083109.html
 in which the first sentence says it all: "The nameservers for wikipedia.org are broken."

And this followup:
https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2011-March/083113.html
 "It's PowerDNS 2.9.22 that is breaking this, and it will be fixed by
 PowerDNS 3.0 once that's released, and we get around to deploying it."

Looks like PowerDNS was in RC2 as of April 19, not released yet. . .

Bill.