Clients get DNS timeouts because ipv6 means more queries for each lookup

Tim Maestas t.maestas at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 22:27:28 UTC 2011

I'm unclear how BIND could be modified to fix this.  The querying
client machines are asking BIND for AAAA records.  BIND goes out to
the authoritative nameservers to attempt to resolve said AAAA records.
 The broken nameservers (PowerDNS <3.0 etc) timeout or otherwise hand
out bad responses (FORMERR, NXDOMAIN).  What would BIND do differently
to avoid this?

Even if BIND was modified, why would the responsibility fall on all
BIND administrators to implement this hack as opposed to the onus
being on the owners of the broken nameservers to upgrade their broken
authoritative servers?

-Tim