big improvement in BIND9 auth-server startup time

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Fri Jul 15 14:29:34 UTC 2011

On 2011/07/13, at 11:15, Evan Hunt wrote:

> People who operate big authoritative name servers (particularly with
> large numbers of small zones, e.g., for domain hosting and parking),
> and have had trouble with slow startup, may find this information
> useful:
>
> http://www.isc.org/community/blog/201107/major-improvement-bind-9-startup-performance

Thanks Evan.  I'll also point out to people this PDF which has some more detail on the actual performance improvements: <http://www.isc.org/files/imce/startup-performance.pdf>

Was there any work done on measuring the impact on 'reconfig' times, or is that an entirely separate piece of code?  I'm curious if the change makes any difference to adding large numbers of zones to an already-running server.  e.g. if I've got a server handling 500,000 zones and add another 20k, 50k, or 100k via 'reconfig'.

Thanks to the ISC folk for doing that work!
   Matt