about the dig

eugene tsuno Eugene.Tsuno at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 19 14:53:21 UTC 2011

Feng:

I think G.W is pointing out that in the absence of resolv.conf, dig uses
the localhost to connect
to the bind server.  Just tcpdump the loopback interface, and you will
see it.

So the reason resolution works is because you are running bind on that
server.  It would not work
on any client which isn't running bind.

We generally put the entry in so we know where our DNS requests are
going, the loopback or
a real interface.  In doesn't have to be that way, you don't have to use
the bind server on
the box itself.